Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Header Ads Widget

Fabric Frames with Antique Matte Mod Podge


I’m so excited to share these Mod Podge Fabric Frames. I just love how they turned out, and using Mod Podge on fabric was so easy. I used inexpensive wood frames from Michael’s, and Antique Matte Mod Podge on fabric for a vintage look. After I was done with the frames, I painted the frame inserts with chalkboard paint. I still can’t get enough of chalkboard paint!


Supplies needed:
Wood craft frames
Fabric of choice
Plaid acrylic craft paint in white
Mod Podge Matte
Mod Podge Antique Matte
Distress Ink
Scissors
Paint brush or foam craft brush
Plaid chalkboard paint (not pictured)


Step One – Paint wood frames with white paint and set aside to dry. I like to paint the backs of the frame as well for a finished look. Don’t throw away the cardboard insert, we’ll need that for later.
Step Two – Cut fabric square slightly bigger than frame, and brush with a thin coat of Mod Podge and let dry.  This is a great tip I read in Amy Anderson’s book, Mod Podge Rocks! It keeps the edges from fraying and makes it easier to cut my shapes. I used regular Mod Podge for this step, but you can use the Antique Mod Podge too.


Step Three – Once the frames and fabric are dry, use a pencil to trace the shape of the frame onto the fabric. Make sure the pattern lines up nicely with the shape of the frame. Be sure to cut the fabric inside of the pencil lines, you want the fabric to be just a bit smaller than the frame. Don’t use your good fabric scissors to cut through the Mod Podge or you might gunk them up.


Step Four – Brush a coat of Antique Matte Mod Podge onto frame, then carefully lay fabric on top. Coat fabric in another thin coat of Antique Mod Podge. I think it’s hard to tell in this picture, but the Antique Mod Podge is really cool. It has a faded yellow tint that warmed up the fabric and gave it a vintage feel. You can see it better in the final pictures. Let frames dry.


Step Five – Use a distress ink stamp pad to hit the edges of the frame. I just pressed it flat against the edge. Then I grabbed my paint brush and used it to flick a little bit more of the ink over the edges. I let the frames dry overnight.

Step Six – I was hunting around for pictures when I realized these would be really cute as little chalkboards. So I used the cardboard insert already in the frame and painted several coats of Plaid’s chalkboard paint. It’s really easy to use, and I’m still using the same bottle from my chalkboard cutting boards and my chalkboard wreath. I love the idea of using the insert too, they are already the perfect size!

Step Seven – Write a cute note or message. Sometime I wish I didn’t have the handwriting of a 10 year-old. Then I could make an amazing, tiny little chalkboard masterpiece…best to just keep it simple.




You can find the yellow chevron fabric here. The turquoise fabric is outdoor fabric by Robert Allen, I found it at Jo-Ann’s last year.

If you are a fan of the vintage look like me, you have to try the Antique Matte Mod Podge. It’s so cool. I can’t wait to try it on photos!