Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Header Ads Widget

Glass Map Necklace

If you have visited my Etsy shop, then you will recognize today’s project.  For you DIY-ers, I’m going to show you how to make your own!


I actually stopped listing these.  It was just getting too hard to keep up on!  I do love to make them, but custom orders were taking more time than I really had.
Fortunately, they aren’t complicated at all.  It’s taking me longer to type up this post than it does to make one!  
What you will need:


Map Clipping – you can use an inexpensive map, or print one
Mod Podge, brush, and squeegee
Necklace bezel, coordinated glass cabochon, and chain
Heavy duty permanent adhesive (like E6000)
Picking and choosing your map clipping might be the hardest part.
Once you’ve settled on your image, use your glass cab to trace it out and trim it.  Then, cover it in a light coat of Mod Podge.


(I know this isn’t Chicago, I was making a couple of pendants!)
Next, put your glass cab on top.  Twist it around to coat it well, and eliminate any areas that might not be coated in Mod Podge.  Now, you are going to squeegee any excess Mod Podge out.  You can use a card (think like a credit card) for this – I have a little squeegee tool I use specifically for Mod Podge projects like this.


Give the backside a coat of Mod Podge to seal it, and let it dry.  It should take about 30 minutes to fully dry.
The last step is to adhere the cab to your bezel.  I like E6000 for this, but if you use it, you need to know – a little goes a long way.  You only need a very thin coat for a permanent mounting.  If you get too much, it can bleed through your graphic and look black.  I usually just add a dot anywhere but the exact center, and then when I pop the cab in, I twist it all around to get a nice thin coat of glue.


You should give it at least an hour before you try to wear it.  I will often just leave it out overnight to cure.


Now you have a great gift – it’s a little piece of home for anyone!  I have also made these with book clippings, dictionary definitions, bible verses, clippings from sheet music, photos, phrases – you can personalize these any way you like!